Thursday 6 September 2012

That's What I Meant!




Customer: I have a pretty stuffy and runny nose. I used Claritin and it didn't work. Can you recommend something else for me?
Me: How long have you been experiencing symptoms?
Customer: It has been maybe 2 weeks I've been trying the Claritin and I haven't  found it very effective for me. Is there anything better than Claritin?
Me: Let me ask you a few questions then. Do you have any allergies to medications, any medical conditions, or are you using any other medications? Have you tried any other medications?
Customer: No to all of the above.
Me: Which symptoms are bothering you the most? The runny nose, stuffy nose, or both?
Customer: All of them.
Me: So you're itchy and sneezy? Any colourful discharge?
Customer: Yes, itchy and sneezy. No discharge.
Me: There's no list of what really works better, but there are quite similar allergy meds and some people find one works better for them than other drugs. It takes trial and error.
Customer: What is that?
Me: Trying it to see if it works better. Let me show you something. *walks to the aisle and selects Aerius Sinus 12 hour*
Customer: WAIT, THAT is what I've been using the whole time!!
Me: You told me that you've been using CLARITIN all along!
Customer: Well, I MEANT that.
Me: So you've been taking AERIUS and NOT CLARITIN?!
Customer: Yes.
Me: Okay, so try Claritin Sinus 12 hour, or you can use Claritin Sinus 24 hour. Keep in mind though, that the decongestant that helps with extra stuffy nose in these can keep you awake maybe.
Customer: Okay, I don't want something so strong, I have trouble sleeping.
Me: Okay, maybe try plain Claritin. It still works for allergy symptoms, just not as well for super stuffy nose, but it won't affect sleeping as much.
Customer: Okay, give me the 12 hour one.
Me: Plain Claritin pills are ALL 24 hours.
Customer: I only want something that's 12 hours.
Me: They're the SAME allergy medication. Claritin in the usual dose lasts 24 hours. When you get Claritin SINUS they cut the dose in half and add another drug, so then you need to take it twice a day, because IT'S ONLY HALF the amount.
Customer: What?! I only want 12 hours, so forget the sleeping. I'll take the Claritin Sinus 12 hours.
Me: Whatever you want. (By this point I had had enough.)


No comments:

Post a Comment