Saturday 20 October 2012

Problem Prescriptions

After going to a pharmacy conference I was pooped and was too tired to post. Today I have an assortment of problem prescriptions discovered only THIS WEEK. I define "problem" as: requiring clarification/extra-work-that-shouldn't-be-necessary, erroneous, disgusting, etc.

1. This reads "1000/cc Mitte: 10cc". This lovely doctor decided to omit the drug name on the prescription. (Note: More experienced pharmacists would probably take a guess that this could possibly be the Vitamin B12 injection, but really you can't assume.) I had to type up and fax a note to the doctor then wait for a response. Another classic example of WHY it takes so long to fill your prescription (or the next person's).


2. This only makes you go "OMG" when you've checked the patient's file and realize that he was previously taking 5 tablets TOTAL per day of the Levocarb 100/25mg. This doctor decided to write "4.5 tablets FOUR TIMES daily", totalling 18 tablets per day, which is 3.6 times the patient's previous dose. Even if the patient's Parkinson's disease had worsened significantly I'm not sure they would've made such a huge jump in dose. 


3. This prescription is not the worst that I've seen (I've seen some miscellaneous red/brown droplets/fingerprints), but this is ranked as the most disgusting prescription I have dispensed this week. Unfortunately the photo doesn't really display very well the depth of colour on the prescription indicating its pure filthiness. Even though I have lots of things in my purse, I don't think any of my papers in there have ever turned colour or gone this wrinkly...did the prescription get stored in an armpit or crotch? How did it get so brown and dirty? As soon as my assistant brought this prescription to me to ask me a question about it, I immediately used a thick roll of tape and taped the surfaces of both sides to prevent ourselves from catching the plague. People, please be respectful of your prescriptions AND your pharmacy team.

(For whatever reason, blogger will not align these photos! So annoying...lol.)



1 comment:

  1. Levocarb 100
    Bisoprolol 5 mg.. Its clear handwriting .. Fg illiterate ppl

    ReplyDelete