Wednesday 10 October 2012

Overly Sensitive People

The pharmacy was really busy today. While busy checking prescriptions in the dispensary, this young guy (late 20s, early 30s?) decided to come up to the counter to ask a question. Maybe I didn't choose the best words, but seriously, anyone would've understood the intent. All I have to say is that this guy needs to remove the stick from up his behind or he is going to suffer a stroke before he's 40. 

Guy: Where are your Band-Aids? 
Assistant: Over in Aisle 8. *guy goes to aisle 8 and comes back*
Guy: I'm looking for something that you tape to the back of your heel to protect it from forming blisters. 

-----
STOP. What do you think of when you think of shoes and blisters and protection? Most of the time when I deal with this in the store the majority of people are looking for protection from their pretty high-heels. 
-----
Maybe I stopped thinking for a second, but I blurted something out. 
Me: Is this for high-heels? 
Guy: No, it's for leather shoes. 
Me: OHh...*understood* okay, there's something called moleskin that you can use. *I look up from checking my prescription and see that the guy looks like he could murder me. Holy crap*.
Guy: THAT WAS ***NOT*** FUNNY. *deathstare* That was REALLY NOT FUNNY. 

At this point I'm kind of shocked that I've managed to offend someone in such a short period of time. 
Me: Oh, sorry, usually people who often ask are asking about high heels and I thought maybe you were asking for a friend. 
Guy: THAT WAS ***NOT*** FUNNY. (No one was laughing.) WHAT IS YOUR NAME?!?! TELL ME YOUR NAME NOW. 
Me: *I tell the guy his name while he stomps off*

So apparently this guy was really pissed and I was shocked that I managed to imply something horrible in his eyes...that he was a drag queen? ...Liked women's shoes? ...WORE women's heels? 

I looked at my assistant who was there and asked "Did I say something REALLY wrong? I am kinda shocked" and he was like "Oh Man. That guy was overly sensitive, lol."

I've been thinking about this conversation all night feeling quite bothered, and now I have to really work on modifying my future behaviour so that the 1% of the population that will get seriously offended will not be as likely to get seriously offended. I should've probably asked "Is this for you? What kind of problem with shoes are you having?". Being that I already feel like I talk too much, this is going to be an extra 9 words compared to asking "is this for high-heels?".  


No comments:

Post a Comment